Saturday 16 February 2013

Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters



I was not expecting much from this movie. I saw the trailer and it doesn't look very good. More disjointed and plotless then most movies trailers do. I watched a short interview on foxtel with the cast and I thought Gemma Arterton sounded nice, so I went to see it. When I got to the cinema and saw they sold these cool green sippy cups for frozen coke, I bought one and kinda thought that would be the highlight of the day.


I was not prepared for the movie to be pretty great, and it was. So the sippy cup, wasn't as cool, which is crazy, because the sippy cup is awesome! Don't get so excited and rush off to go see it though. I think one of the reasons I liked it so much much was because I had such low expectations. After watching the trailer it reminded me of Snow White and the Huntsman, and that was a terrible movie.

Hansel and Gretel, had a really great relationship on screen. As you all know, their parents left them when they were little and they have only had each other since. They bickered like siblings, fought like siblings and protected each other like siblings would. It was clear they were very close. It was fun to watch then, Gretel was particularly kick arse and Hansel, all roguish. There were some really great side character's too, and I relished in their inclusion. 

The plot actually made sense! Which is quite out standing considering most movies taken from fairytales are always changed. Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters had changes a plenty. Of course, the children become witch hunters after killing they witch in the candy house but there are others too. Their parents are mentioned and there is a revelation that I thought was a great addition. 


With these glasses comes great
reflexes and super strength
I saw it in 3D and there were arrows flying at me and trees fell on me, but I have ninja like reflexes and I am super strong, so I lived to tell the tale. It wasn't anything to write home about, it was good, not great, Hansel's bending over backwards to miss an arrow made me laugh out loud rather be amazed. I guess that is CGI and action packed flicks this days, it's hard to stand out, or be taken seriously (like this movie wth? and where is the plot?). 



I really enjoyed this movie. It didn't take itself too seriously, the plot flowed, the acting was good and I would definitely go see another one. 


3.5 out of 5 - decapitated witches.

No comments:

Post a Comment