Saturday 11 May 2013

My reading niche ... for a while at least


Within fantasy there are subgenres, not this many but there are a few for sure! The people that made that list went a little overboard I think.

The one I want to post about is urban fantasy. I’m not just talking about wizard detectives that advertise in the Yellow Pages, I am talking about fantastical events, or characters of setting that have some or lots of elements of our current reality.

I have been reading a fair bit of this subgenre lately. Of course I am a huge fan of Storm Front (The Dresden Files, Book 1) and I’ve read some Neil Gaimen and a few other random bits and bobs, but now I am making a concentrated effort to broaden my horizons. As you know (if you have read my posts lately) I have read Ben Aaronovitch’s The Folly series (can’t wait for June and next release Broekn Homes) and I’ve read Fated (An Alex Verus Novel) the first book in Benedict Jacka’s Alex Verus series. On my tablet I also have Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, Book 1)  by Kim Harrison but the first few pages were garbage so maybe I will continue I’m not sure. I also finished Twenty Palaces, A Prequel by Harry Connolly and also didn't think to highly of that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment